This article is originally published by Career Life Transitions, part of the Career Money Life Supplier Community.
What is your Current Life Changing Transition?
What is your transition, we’re going through them all the time, what is yours right now? Our lives are in a constant state of change whether we like it or not. We are all transitioning to something or somewhere. The difference is that some of it is by choice and some of it is out of our control. Bottom line is that the only thing we have to deal with this constant state of change is our attitude to it.
We all say we hate change, but we are constantly changing, whether we like it or not.
What most of us don’t like is change that we are not in control of or that we haven’t initiated. What we need is a way of adopting the way we approach positive change and apply it to any and all change.
It’s not that hard to do and it is all about your attitude.
Having a positive and learned approach to change is not only a wonderful asset, but as the rate of change increase year on year due to Artificial intelligence, rates of learning, robotics etc. this approach is moving from a functional to an essential skill.
The future struggle we are facing in the workforce is not to do with our level of education or even our intelligence, but an individual’s ability to learn, re learn and adapt quickly.
So what is your transition?
- Changing Jobs
- Going on holidays
- Loss of a job
- Going back to school
- Moving house, state, country
- Changes at work
- Promotion (positioning for it or getting it)
- Family circumstances (new born baby or death of loved one)
Some of these things are wonderfully positive and you may be racing to the new state, some may be dreading or avoiding, others are just plain and simply out of your control. But the change is constant.
Taking the time to understand and acknowledge the way you go through positive change is essential to you, your future and your health, this is my plan:
- Acknowledge it (I see that this will change me, or my circumstances)
- Accept it (good bad or ugly, it’s going to happen)
- What can I do? (what is in your control and what is out of your control – know the difference)
- Look to a future state (what will the future hold, what are the scenarios, and where can I see a positive future state)
- Plan (what can I do that is in my control that moves me toward the positive future state)
- Work (do the things you need to do, be proactive and focused)
- Adapt (its won’t always go to plan, learn to adapt and adjust to suit the challenge)
- Persevere (change is tough and frustrating, acknowledge that but don’t give up)
- Celebrate (even the small wins are worth acknowledging)
- Stay positive (the alternative is physically and mentally destructive)
- Repeat (don’t worry, there’s another change just around the corner)
People generally get stuck in one or two of these phases and that is where help from others can really add value. Professional psychology advise may be needed to help you through acceptance or staying positive, support from friends will help you persevere and celebrate. Career Life Transitions can help you understand what is in your locus of control, see the future state, plan for success and work towards that success.
By doing something different (action) you will become someone different (behaviour) and have the outcomes you’re looking for (results). For others the model may be to think differently (behaviour) leading to a different action and embracing the outcome.
Whatever your model, it is all about you and your attitude. Don’t be the person wandering through life blaming others for your misfortunes, embrace what you can control, accept what you can’t and ignore the rest.
Career Money Life offers a wide range of transition services for individuals. We also make it easy for employers to manage all of their employees’ career needs across every stage of their journey – whether that be transitioning within or outside the organisation, going on parental leave, returning to work, or transitioning to retirement. Our platform provides your people with access to hundreds of expert service providers, as well as the means to make the most of their services with expert curated content. Book a demo now or contact us to learn more about offerings.