This article is authored by Boriana Slabakova and is originally published by Health Careers.
More and more countries are developing new organic food laws and guidelines to ensure consumers can trust anything labeled and sold as organic. In addition, agricultural land for organic food is expanding around the globe in order to feed the increasing demand. In the future, this will lead to reduced prices of organic options, making it more affordable for more consumers.
Continue reading to find out about the past, current, and future statistics of naturally grown and organic food options.
The Top 10 Organic Food Trends and Statistics (Editor’s Picks)
- Cancer risk can be reduced by 25% by eating organic foods.
- 5.7% of food sold in the United States is organic.
- In 2018, the total sales of organic food increased by 5.3% in the UK.
- 62% of Americans reveal they would choose organic if it were more affordable.
- In 2016, the US reached a total of €38.9 billion in organic food retail sales.
- Organic food industry trends show that the share of newly launched organic products increased to 10% in 2019, globally.
- Over the last 3 years in the UK, there’s been a 52% increase in the number of vegetarians and a 104% increase in vegans.
- Over a 4-year period, there was an 18% increase in the sales of organic deli lunch meat in the US.
- 44% of Polish organic food consumers choose organic due to health reasons.
- Organic pet food sales increased by 10.2% in 2018.
A lot more information about organic food awaits you in this infographic (and after it!), continue reading here.